Friday, March 1, 2013

Sweaters and Sequence



I took an old loved sweater and gave it new life by adding a sequence detail to the neck line.  It was a great way to fix a few problems and update a most beloved sweater.

I love this sweater.  It was my first cashmere sweater ever, but it has seen better days.  This poor sweater has been through the washer and dryer (Simon didn't realize you can't machine wash and dry cashmere) but although is was treated roughly it came out in pretty good shape.  It didn't felt and it still fit although the little bit of room in the sweater was gone.  I attribute the sweater making it through its traumatic washing and dying to the fact that we wash everything on cold and gentle and dry everything on low.  The sweater had also gotten snagged on something the last time I wore it and there is a small hole near the neckline on the right side.
This has been sitting in my pile of projects to do.  I had some down time this week and figured that I should get going and finish this before the weather got too warm for a cashmere sweater.  

Here's the hole I was talking about.  My idea for this sweater came about as a way to fix and hide the hole.  My favorite fabric store was having a sale on sequence back in the fall and I bought some metallic and teal sequence with this project in mind. 

Teal and bronze are the colors I picked and as you can tell from the top photo I used mostly teal sequence.  I like the look of the teal sequence glinting on the teal sweater.  

First things first.  I decided to go ahead and mend the hole before I started to attach the sequence.  I figured it was best to hide the weird blip the mending left in the sweater with a sequence than to just cover the hole with one.  

The mending isn't anything fancy.  Just a few quick stitches to pull the hole closed.  I did weave the thread through a few stitches like you would if you were grafting in knitting or weaving your ends in at the end of a project.  

I started by covering the blip and then continued up the side of the neckline to the shoulder seam.  I attached my sequence closer and closer to each other as I got to the top of the shoulder to make it look as though the sequence were trickling down the sweater.  It took two passes of attaching sequence to get the desired affect.  

A quick note.  Attaching individual sequence is time consuming, but there is something meditative about it and the end result is worth the time.  


11 comments:

LoriLynn said...

YAY! You're back :) And back to making and sharing amazeballs clothes you're making. I love this sweater and it's such an awesome fix!

In case you want some new free threads...I'm doing a giveaway with shabby apple on the blog this week and you should probably enter, just saying :)

XO Lori

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aeryn Watts said...

Big thumps up!Love your blog article.You can write another blog like this. Custom Essential Oil Boxes as a packaging manufacturer, the target market is the people who would like to indulge.

Mikel lee said...

It is very informative post thanks for sharing the information.
affordable custom Kraft boxes
affordable lip gloss boxes

Tory Brown said...

I appreciate your post thanks for sharing the information.
Boutique box manufacturers usa
Branding custom Boutique boxes

Tory Brown said...

It is very informative post thanks for sharing the information.
buy Boutique boxes florida
affordable printed Business card boxes

Mary Davies said...

Take the competitive edge by using attractive custom favor boxes, while doing favor boxes business in the market. Interested? Contact IBEX Packaging for more details.

Unkown said...

It is a very informative post I appreciate your post. Thanks for sharing I got a lot of ideas. Visit my blog CBD E liquids boxes.

Visitor said...

Thanks for sharing valuable information. It would be helpful for every reader, keep posting, I appreciate your efforts.

Emily Anders said...

Thanks for sharing an interesting and very useful blog. I always appreciate the quality content. There is a great mixture of details. keep posting. Click here

Anna James said...

Find branded and luxury packaging for hand sanitizer at Hand Sanitizer Boxes on quality paperboard with custom printing. Our custom printed luxury hand sanitizer boxes can also have some additional features like embossing, debossing, foiling, soft-touch finishing, die-cut windows, and many others. So call us now!