Monday, September 24, 2012

Officially Fall

Rittenhouse Square Park on the first day of fall. 
It is now officially fall according to the calendar and I am very excited about it.  I love the fall, the weather is cool and crisp and you can where jeans and boots and of course sweaters.  I know I've been raving about fall for what seems like all month, but it actually feels like fall is here in Philly!  This may be one of the first Septembers where the city still doesn't feel like its stuck in August.  Our apartment isn't sweltering and we even took the AC unit out of our bedroom window, we even have a blanket on our bed.  I know this may all seem very silly but I can now knit with wool without a fan on me and sweat pouring off my hands.

What does all of this mean?  It means a few things.  Apple season is on its way, so the apartment will be filled with the smell of apple pie, apple sauce and apple butter.  Three of my favorite apple items.  It will also mean the return of the slow cooker, so there will be many meals of chilli, beef stew, mac and cheese, and bread pudding.  On top of that it will be ideal bread making weather.  I will be able to wear some of my favorite sweaters as well as knit a few new lovelies.  It will be cold enough for scarves and fingerless mitts soon, and I can pull my leather jacket out of the closet and hang it by the door.  Ok, I said a few, but maybe it means a lot of things to me.

Grapes at the farmer market. 
Another reason I love the fall is my birthday is in the fall.  October to be exact and while I am creeping closer and closer to 30 I am excited about turning a year older.  I think 28 is going to be a good year for me I can just feel it.  There are a lot of things going on this year in my life and they are all exciting and all really starting in the fall.  For example my new job at TD at Plays and Players really takes off come October and I'm still at Theatre Exile for their second show The English Bride (I love being in Exile).  My parents are also coming to visit me around my birthday.  They haven't been to the city since 2008 when I first moved here.  So I say bring on fall, bring on crisp nights and hardy meals, bring on the colors of the leaves and the smell of cinnamon.  I'm ready. Lets do this.

No comments: