Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sewing My Me Made Wardrobe: Week 1

I was planing on sewing pants and shorts this first week, but the bobbin and thread in my sewing machine was the perfect color for two of my other projects.  This being the case I tweaked the sewing plan just a tiny bit.

The Anda dress went together in no time.  I opted out of the elastic waist tie and will wear this dress with one of my many belts that I never wear.  A word of caution to the sewer this pattern is HUGE.  With dresses I base my size on the bust measurement and with this dress pattern I was a size 38.  Little did I know that the pattern had about 6 to 7 inches of extra ease.  I ended up taking in the side seams cutting down about 3 to 4 inches on the extra ease.  I will be measuring and adjusting the pattern. I do like the look of this dress on and it is easy and quick and a great way to show off a fabric.  I am going to make a second one, but after I finish my pants project.

In the same day (that's right the same day) I sewed my second dolman sleeve top.  This one is longer, has larger cuffs on the sleeves, and a different neckline.  I am really digging the dolman sleeve top.  A big thanks to Merrick over on Merrick's Art for this awesome tutorial.

With a some thread still left on the bobbin I whipped up this quick tank out of the scraps from my first dolman stop.  I plan on stenciling something on it, but I am not too sure what.

Here is a look at my plans for this week:

Sew my pants and my shorts!  I have found two great tutorials to make these projects easier.  The first is a video tutorial on how to sew a flat fly front.  It made so much more sense after watching this video.  The second is a step by step guide to sewing single welt pockets.  I am going to be trying both of these new techniques out this week.  Wish me luck!  

No comments: