Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wine Tasting in the Hunter Valley

About two weeks ago Simon and I went to the Hunter Valley. Mostly because I wanted to go wine tasting. We had two days in and around Cessnock and I went on a wine tour the first day around the county side. Here are a few photos of the first day out in NSW's wine county. The above photo was taken on the balcony of Ivanhoe Winery.

We visited about four winerys that day, along with another place that had liqours for tasting. I don't think I've ever tasted that much wine in one day. We started at 10am with our first winery. I learned too that there are over 100 wineries in the Hunter Valley and they make up for 1% of Australia's wine production. They are best know for there Semillions which is a crisp white wine that becomes golden in color as it ages.

This is my favorite winery that we visited, Audrey Wilkinson. It had amazing wine and amazing views. I loved their Chardony, their traminer, and they had a wonderful cab sav that came home with me and might even make it's way back to the states.

This is just one of the views from the hill top that Audrey Wilinson sits atops. The small house on the hill is the original homestead.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Aren't the Australian wines great? The Hunter Valley is just so beautiful and I was lucky enough to go on a Hunter Valley wine tasting . Did you go on something similar or did you do this on your own?